This article is about something that is no longer active in the Club Penguin universe.
The Treasure Hunt sandbox
|Minigame location||Captain's Quarters, Beach (only during Rockhopper's Quest)|
|Date released||April 28, 2008|
|Date closed||March 30, 2017|
Objective of the Game
Players worked together to uncover as much buried treasure as they could before they ran out of turns.
Each player had a side of the board (top or left) and controls where, along his or her side of the board, sand is dug up from. Therefore, if a player had the horizontal game play, they could not dig vertically, and vice versa.
How to Play
Players alternated turns and had 6 turns each. Player 1 selected where a row of sand was dug up and Player 2 selected where a column of sand was dug up. Where the rows and columns intersected, the sand was dug all the way down to where the treasure might be.
Sparkles in the Sand
Look out for sparkles in the sand. This usually indicated where a piece of treasure was buried.
- Coins - worth 1 coin each.
- Rubies - worth 25 coins each.
- Emerald - worth 100 coins. Did not appear in every game.
- Peppermints - worth 1 coin each.
- Candy Canes - worth 25 coins each.
- Green Christmas tree bauble - worth 100 coins. As before, did not appear every game.
Ending the Game
The game was over after both players used all six of their turns. All completely revealed treasure on the board had their coin values added up and each player received that many coins. The more treasure you found, the bigger the reward.
Tips for playing
- A good trick was to uncover every other line of the board, so you uncovered as many rubies or emeralds as you could. The other player would hopefully uncover the rest of them. Obviously, if you found half of the ruby/emerald, you should uncover the other half before continuing on doing every other row/column.
- Play with friends or those who you could talk to and formulate a strategy with.
- Whenever there were two shines right next to each other, there would be a high chance that a gem was beneath one of those two sparkles. Dig where those two sparkles were, to see if there was a gem there. If a coin appeared under one of those two shines, the other could not be a gem either (so you had to leave it alone).
- If there were three sparkles next to each other in the same row/column, you had to dig for the middle one. You would probably end up uncovering a gem, but if you uncovered a coin in the middle, the other two by it would probably not be gems.
In December 2008, Rockhopper went "overboard" in decorating the Migrator for Christmas. The Treasure Hunt was changed for the season. Coins were replaced with peppermints, rubies were replaced with candy canes, and emeralds were replaced with ornaments. The sand was changed to snow in this edition, since it was colored white. It returned every December since, except for 2014.
|Gem Skills stamp||Uncover 2 gems in the same game|
|Collector stamp||Collect 8 coins in a single game|
|In the Rough stamp||Find a rare treasure|
|Gem Expert stamp||Find a gem in only 3 moves|
|Gem Pro stamp||Find 2 gems in only 7 moves|
- Five Treasure Hunt stamps were added during the Earth Day 2011 party.
- Unlike most of the other games, you would not receive double the amount of coins you earned even if you collected all the Treasure Hunt stamps.
- During Rockhopper's Quest, Treasure Hunt was on the Beach because the Captain's Quarters was inaccessible.
- It was possible to get all the stamps in one Treasure Hunt game.
- A variant of Treasure Hunt called Dino Dig could be played during the Prehistoric Party 2013.
- The maximum possible number for gems/emeralds in a single game was 9, while the maximum number of coins was 36.
- Rockhopper played this game with other players during the Holiday Party 2012.
- During Rockhopper's visit on August 8, 2008, the game had a glitch for the first few days and could not be played, but was then put back up.
- Since the Prehistoric Party 2014, there has been a glitch where gems are called "eggs".
Names in other languages
|Portuguese||Caça ao Tesouro|
|French||Chasse au Trésor|
|Spanish||Búsqueda del tesoro|
|Russian||Охота за сокровищами|