|Minigame location||Ski Hill|
|Date released|| August 22, 2005 (beta),|
January 30, 2006 (everyone)
Sled Racing is a multiplayer minigame in Club Penguin, located at the Ski Hill, which up to 4 players can play. The game was originally tested in the Beta Team, and was officially released in January 2006. The game also has its own set of items from the Game Upgrades catalog at the Ski Hill.
When the game starts, the players slide down a narrow section of a hill using inner tubes, and use the arrow keys to navigate: up and/or right to go to the left (in the point of view of the penguin), and down and/or left to go to the right side of the hill. The game is full of obstacles, such as rocks and wooden logs, and the player has to navigate in order to avoid them or to move to a safe path of the hill. Touching an obstacle makes the player fall off. Ice patches are also scattered across the hill, allowing the players to speed up for a brief moment. At the end of the route is an ending line with 2 clapping penguins. The first player who reaches the line wins 20 coins, the second player wins 10, and the last player earn 5 coins.
- Main article: Sled Runs
There are several sled rans, from which a game of Sled Racing begins. Each run has its own number of slots, each for a single penguin, and the game starts as soon as penguins are seated in all of the run's slots. A taken slot features a penguin seated in an Inner Tube, or using a special sled from the Game Upgrades catalog if that penguin is wearing it.
|Run name||Players||Short description|
|Bunny Hill||2||The first and easiest track out of the four|
|Express||2||A harder but easy level. It's pretty easy but harder than Bunny Hill.|
|Penguin Run||3||Longer than the first two runs, and is the first to introduce cliffs|
|Ridge Run||4||The longest track, and the one that holds the largest number of players. In Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force, this track is used for snowboarding|
- Main article: Test Run
The test run is an experimental run in the terrain, full of obstacles, available in mission 2 of the PSA, where Gary's Prototype Sled is tested, and makes the player crash in The Wilderness after takng too much damage from obstacles. It is also featured in the mission Robots on the Run in the DS game Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force.
A Game Upgrades catalog for sled racing is available in the Ski Hill, allowing players to play Sled Racing with sleds other than the standard inner tubes. The available sleds are the following: Toboggan, Green Racing Sled and Pink Racing Sled. Using them is done by wearing any of these sleds before joining a game. However, they are only used for decorational purposes, and do not give any advantage in the game.
- Ice patches make you go fast, as they give you a turbo boost.
- Jumps make you slower.
- Use both the up and right arrows together instead of just one when going to the left, in order to shift faster. This also works when moving to the right using the down and left arrows.
Old Blue clapping penguins
At the end of Sled Racing, there are two old blue penguins clapping. They are Sled Racing fans and always cheer for everybody. They were interviewed once by Aunt Arctic, but all throughout the interview, all they did was cheer penguins.
Glitches and mistakes
- There used to be a mistake on the level Bunny Hill. You did not have to do anything, and you would never hit any obstacles.
- There was also a complicated glitch in Sled Racing to allow penguins to stand in the pathways in the Mountain. You can only do this by clicking on Penguin Mail.
- There was a glitch that if another person was coming to join you in the race, and you clicked the map right when they joined, the map would be open while you were racing. When the race was over, you would become the other penguin that joined. You could change their clothes and their igloo, including wasting their coins. You could even ban them. This is because you actually are on their account. The other penguin will lose connection and not be able to log on when they try. It also appeared on their computer. This glitch has now been patched.
- There was a glitch where coins switched places, so you ended up getting negative coins.
- There is a glitch when you would fall over for no apparent reason.
- It is one of the five original games in Club Penguin.
- On November 18, 2005, two new sledding runs (Ridge Run and Penguin Run) were released.
- It is featured on the SLED RACING Card-Jitsu Power Card.
- The music was added on April 23, 2009.
- According to Club Penguin Times issue #176, the names of each of the runs were named by the two old blue clapping penguins.
Names in other languages
|French||Course de Luge|
|Spanish||Carrera de trineos|
Sources and References