This article is about something that was for a period of time or is no longer in Club Penguin.
|When||November 21, 2013 – December 5, 2013|
|Free Item(s)||See Free Items|
|Location||Club Penguin Island|
|Mascot(s)||Herbert P. Bear|
|“||Save the Puffles!||”|
— The tagline for the party
Operation: Puffle was a mission in the series of in-game EPF missions and event in Club Penguin which started on November 21, 2013, and ended on December 5. The mission took place in the Wilderness (as previously confirmed by Spike Hike ). Before the mission, puffles were being reported missing across the island. Once the mission had commenced, the agent was briefed by The Director of the EPF, along with Gary the Gadget Guy, that puffles were turning up in the wilderness under mind control and that they were wearing Brain Boxes that forced them to dig for coins and bring them to an unknown location. Agents were given the task of working together to catch puffles of each color under mind control and retrieving the microchip from their Brain Boxes to save them, shut down the mind control tower to stop its signal and put a stop to Herbert's scheme.
- Main article: Operation: Puffle Agent Interface
|Herbert's Hoard Giveaway||By Meeting Herbert||No|
|Puffle Freedom Statue||Offered as a reward for defeating Herbert and saving the puffles. Received via the Operation: Puffle Agent Interface.||No|
In Club Penguin's Halloween Party 2013 advertisement, the Operation: Puffle logo flashed across the screen for a split second, confirming that the party would be coming soon.
Around the time of November 1, Herbert-sized footprints were reported in the wild and Jet Pack Guy was sent to investigate.
On November 7, it was reported that there was trouble in the wilderness. On that same day, Herbert had sabotaged the boiler and stolen parts from it.
At some point (likely around the time of November 7), Herbert P. Bear had most likely broken into the Indestructible Containment Environment and had stolen the 'Puffle Transmogrifier' (a failed invention by Gary). Herbert most likely modified or adapted from it (this is heavily hinted in the Support Story from Club Penguin Times Issue #422) to create the Brain Box, which once worn, would mind control puffles.
Meanwhile, a cave-in had occurred at the Cave Mine, blocking access to the Gold Mine. A few pages written by Garianna about teaching owners how to take care of their Gold Puffles were discovered when workers went to look at the Cave Mine collapse. On November 14, when the rubble had been cleared, Gold Puffles were officially discovered and penguins had the chance to quest for them and adopt them.
Between the time of November 14, 2013 and November 21, 2013 puffles had been going missing.
As Operation: Puffle commenced on Club Penguin Island, Herbert, at this point, had far more puffles working for him. Puffles of all colors (excluding the Rainbow and Gold Puffle species, due to the difficulty of obtaining them) were turning up in the wilderness under mind control, wearing Brain Boxes. Herbert intended for puffles to surface the wilderness, dig up coins and deliver them back to him via tunnels non-stop (at least until a very long time away, according to Club Penguin Times Issue #423).
When Operation: Puffle commenced, the Elite Penguin Force briefed agents on the emergency. The Director of the EPF, along with Gary the Gadget Guy, informed agents that puffles were turning up in the wilderness under mind control and that they were wearing Brain Boxes that forced them to dig for coins and bring them to an unknown location. Gary had a plan to stop Herbert's scheme: to shut down Herbert's communications tower to stop the signal it was broadcasting. To accomplish this, Gary worked towards tracing the mind control signal and analyzed the Brain Boxes that agents had been removing from puffles along with working towards cracking Herbert's security systems. Agents began to make progress on stopping Herbert's scheme and started the process of capturing puffles to free them from their Brain Boxes, along with collecting a microchip from one of each color of puffle's Brain Box.
Saving The Puffles
Saving the puffles came in this order:
On November 21, 2013, Agents began their work, starting with the task of capturing and saving blue puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the blue microchip, and the Head Lamp became unlocked to obtain.
On November 22, 2013, agents went to the EPF Treehouses and worked to capture and save red puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the red microchip, and the Rescue Off-Roader, along with the Hydro-tester 3000 became unlocked to obtain.
On November 23, 2013, agents went to the Lava Cliffs and worked to capture and save black puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the black microchip, and the Rock Climbing Rope became unlocked to obtain.
On November 24, 2013, agents went to the EPF Puffle Vet Station to capture and save brown puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the brown microchip, and the Puffle Field Medic Outfit, along with the Stethoscope became unlocked to obtain.
On November 25, 2013, agents went to the EPF Bootcamp to capture and save green puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the green microchip, and the Bullhorn became unlocked to obtain.
On November 26, 2013, agents went to the Rapids to save pink puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the pink microchip, and the Rescue Ring, along with the Search & Rescue Snowmobile became unlocked to obtain.
On November 27, 2013, agents went to the EPF Puffle Vet Station to capture and save orange puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the orange microchip, and the Thermos became unlocked to obtain.
On November 28, 2013, agents went to the Ice Falls to capture and save white puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the white microchip, and the Arctic Camouflage Suit, along with the Snow Goggles became unlocked to obtain.
On November 29, 2013, agents went to the River Cave to capture and save yellow puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the yellow microchip, and the Search Flashlight became unlocked to obtain.
On November 30, 2013, agents went to the River Cave to save purple puffles. After you had captured and saved five of them, you received the purple microchip, and the Survival Snorkel, along with the Rescue Diver Suit became unlocked to obtain.
Finale and Aftermath
The player, possessing each kind of microchip, sneaked into Herbert's lair. Herbert, suspecting the EPF's arrival, had set up a 'ring-of-fire' trap. He successfully captured the player via the 'ring-of-fire' trap, mocked them, and afterwards played solitaire whilst Klutzy inserted coins into the heater machine. The player, unnoticed by Herbert or Klutzy, broke into the ventilation system. Whilst avoiding over-stressed pipes, the player found their way to the other side of the ventilation system, which was hidden behind a stack of coins. The player accessed the radio communications tower that was mind controlling puffles, inserted the microchips into the dashboard of the communications tower (Puffle Chip Matching game) and consequently caused the mind control broadcast to end, which put a complete stop to Herbert's scheme of mind controlling puffles to dig up coins for him to keep himself warm. Herbert, to his dismay, was suddenly carried away by a large swarm of freed puffles that had escaped from the tubes inside the lair.
The player was congratulated by The Director of the EPF and informed by The Director that puffles were returning back to their homes. For their dedication, the player was granted with a reward from the EPF: the Puffle Freedom Statue and 5000 coins. The enormous amount of coins that Herbert had been hoarding was donated to Coins for Change, a suggestion by Rockhopper.
Similarities to Operation: Blackout
- Both EPF Operations were rumored months before its official release, and in the case of Operation: Blackout, years ago.
- Both events were hinted inside Halloween Party videos. Firstly, Herbert appeared in the Ghosts Just Wanna Dance music video, holding an envelope with a picture of the sun crossed out on it. Next, nearly a year later, Herbert made an appearance in the Halloween Party 2013 trailer, holding a book with a picture of a puffle on the back cover. Lastly, the logo for Operation: Puffle was teased for a split second at the end of the 'ZOMG ZOMBIE PENGUINS!' video.
- ClubHerbert.com has been used as a source of sneak peeks for both events.
- The entrance to both operations is in the Ski Village.
- Both Operation: Puffle and Operation: Blackout gave a furniture item for free which were available to all players.
- The Waterfall and the Volcano both are in a river, surrounded by water on all sides.
- The river that flows from the Ice Falls has two outlets into the ocean.
- The Dojo is actually at an angle facing the Mine Shack, contrary to how it appears on the map.
- A very large, puffle shaped cavern appears over a section of the river.
- The Ice Falls Waterfall has a sheet of ice that hangs over it.
- The section of land behind the Ski Village is much larger than it appears.
- On October 8, 2013, Polo Field hinted in the Wikia Chat that the mission may involve puffles.
- The operation's name was first confirmed by Spike Hike on Twitter.
- Herbert appeared in the Halloween Party 2013 trailer, holding a book with a picture of a puffle on the back cover. This teased that a new operation was coming soon and that Herbert and puffles would be involved.
- The event was further teased for a split second at the end of the 'ZOMG ZOMBIE PENGUINS!' video.
- A new puffle species arrived at the party, as confirmed by the What's New Blog.
- The reason why Gold Puffles or Rainbow Puffles weren't being used by Herbert, as mentioned in Club Penguin Times Issue #422, was because they were too hard to reach, due to the fact that:
- On the Operation: Puffle Agent Interface map, the bridge from the volcano to the Dojo was seen, but not from the waterfall or the Snow Dojo to the Dojo. However, the bottom of the volcano and the waterfall are shown in the mission, finally proving the river does run through to behind the Ski Village.
- The Lava Cliffs room is likely to be the bottom of the Fire Dojo's volcano and Water Dojo's waterfall.
- Whenever you go onto the river, a pontoon will appear as if you are riding it.
- The Elite Penguin Force took over #WaddleOn for three episodes, for the event.
- It was a nominee for the Best Party of 2013 in The Spoiler Alert.
- There was a glitch which made you go under the chat bar.
- There was a glitch which made an undefined notification pop up on your screen every time you move to a different room, alerting that you have earned 0 coins.
- There was a glitch which makes your pontoon disappear, but it would reappear in the next room. This glitch happened most often at the Outpost.
- There was a glitch that caused your penguin to not wear a pontoon whilst going on the River.
- There was also another similar glitch that caused the pontoon to not be removed when going from the River to land.
- If you clicked on a player that was walking a puffle, then clicked on a different player that was not walking a puffle (or yourself if you weren't walking a puffle), you/that player would get that puffle, consequently allowing to have two items on at one time.
- When logging in after defeating Herbert and attempting to collect the Puffle Freedom Statue via the 'collect item' button, a message would pop up, saying that you can only buy an item 99 times (even if you had already collected one).
- If you went inside the Ski Lodge and looked out the window, you could see storm clouds (continuity error).
Club Penguin Times News
Mind Controlled Puffles
Tour Guide Messages
|EPF Base Camp||This outpost is the base camp. You can check out the rescue HQ or go on a river expedition, just make sure to bring extra snacks!|
|Herbert's Hoard Lair||This was where Herbert was defeated and the puffles were freed. What happened here is top secret, but there are rumors that the EPF does not know where the puffles took him.|
|EPF Rescue HQ||This is the rescue headquarters. The EPF is hard at work to save puffles. Feel free to pitch in, take radio calls from agents or track puffles on the map.|
|Boot Camp||This is the Boot Camp. The EPF set it up so agents can train and get ready to explore. You can BBQ some fish or test your skill on the balance beam or climb the wall and hit the bell.|
|Lava Cliffs||We're passing by the Lava Cliffs. Up above is the Fire Dojo. These cliffs can be treacherous. Be careful if you climb. It's also a great place to roast marshmallows.|
|Puffle Vet station||Next on the river tour is the Puffle Vet station. It's here to keep puffles healthy and to help them recover. The vet always needs volunteers to help at the front desk, water the O'berry bush or take care of the puffles.|
|Ice Falls||The majestic Ice Falls. The current is strong here so be careful! There are powerful searchlights if you need to find something, like a lost sock or a rubber ducky that went downstream!|
|Rapids||Whoa! Rapids here! There's a whirlpool that sucks you in, try to stay together! It can be fun to ride these rapids, just call for help if you fall in!|
|River Cave||This is the River Cave. Look at the unique formations. This is a great spot for diving. Keep an eye out for puffles, lots of them show up here.|
|Treehouses||Here are the Treehouses. This is a great place to rest after traveling the river all day. There is fish and fire and the EPF has secured the area with cameras and searchlights|
|Ski Village||Here we have the Ski Village. Race down the Ski Hill and chill in the Ski Lodge. There's an Everyday Phoning Facility which sure is busy right now. The entrance to the wilderness is in the back. Head that way to rescue puffles.|
|What do you call a courteous spy?||A gent!|
|What's the stealthiest bug?||A spy-der!|
|Why did the spy show up without his gear?||Eavesdropped it!|
|What's Herbert's favorite piece of furniture?||A vege-table!|
|Where do you find polar bears?||It depends on where you lost them!|
|Why doesn't Herbert have any friends?||He's un-bear-able!|
|What do you call a polar bear with skates?||A roller bear|
|How did the penguins stay safe in the forest?||They went in trees!|
|What's great about camping?||It's in-tents!|
|What flies, bites, and talks in code?||A morse-quito!|
Safe Chat Messages
|Save that puffle!|
|Let's go to the wilderness|
|Get on the river|
|Back to Rescue Headquarters!|
|Watch those rapids!|
|Stay vigilant agents!|
|The puffles need us!|
|The brain box is Herber-tech!|
|Campfire at the Treehouses|
- EPF Rescue HQ
- EPF Bootcamp
- Lava Cliffs
- EPF Puffle Vet Station
- Ice Falls
- River Cave
- EPF Treehouses
- Herbert's Lair
Sources and References