This article is about something that was for a period of time or is no longer in Club Penguin.
|When||November 15, 2012 - December 6, 2012|
|Free Item(s)||See Free Items|
|Location||Club Penguin Island|
|Mascot(s)||Herbert P. Bear and Rookie|
Operation: Blackout was an Elite Penguin Force event that began on November 15, 2012 and ended on December 6, 2012, even though it was originally planned to end on December 4. Rumors had already started in 2011 due to the 'Behind the Scenes' video by Club Penguin containing footage of an employee working on a computer with big, black bold letters on the screen saying Operation: Blackout. It was confirmed on Herbert's, Polo Field's and Billybob's Twitter accounts. Polo Field also blogged about the team creating audio for November. Operation: Blackout was the first time Herbert made an appearance as a mascot.
Herbert's plans consisted of taking over Club Penguin Island, ruling the island as the Dictatorship 'Club Herbert' and capturing every class leading EPF agents (consisting of G, Dot, Jet Pack Guy, Rookie and The Director of the EPF. Nonetheless, she was banned from being a Puffle Handler, due to the rules that Herbert set [see 'Others', in the Gallery below]). The Blackout consisted of blocking the sun and stealing its energy to keep Herbert warm, using a High Frequency Infrared Reversion Laser in his fortress. Herbert also utilized the laser's feature of using energy from the sun to destroy the Everyday Phoning Facility, consequently destroying parts of the EPF Command Room itself. Due to Herbert keeping the sun's heat from reaching the island for an ever-increasing time, the island and it's inhabitants were suffering from a vast increase of snowfall and a rapidly decreasing overall temperature. Due to Herbert's plan and the island's rapidly decreasing overall temperature falling to life-threatening levels, EPF Agents broke into his fortress to stop his plan and save the island and it's inhabitants from destruction. Herbert used his plans to take out revenge on the EPF and freeze their leaders (and presumably you, the player, as there was one last empty freeze-chamber left, along with the other chambers), who had previously frozen him in Operation: Hibernation. Due to Herbert's plans of capturing and freezing the The Director of the EPF, this enabled him to use this arisen opportunity to find out the true identity of the mysterious leader.
Before Operation: Blackout
Gary is kidnapped by Herbert and Field-Ops go offline. The EPF goes on Red Alert.
The Agents broke into Herbert's Fortress, and they had to disable the Security Terminal 1.
On November 16, agents were given a Grappling Hook which they used to pull a lever and open the door to access Security Terminal 2 and disable it. You needed to know how to throw the grappling hook.
On November 18, agents are given a Plasma Laser, which they use to cut through another one of Herbert's doors and disable Security Terminal 3. Also, Herbert captured Dot and froze her along with Gary.
All the captured agents are freed. When the agents turned off the Solar Laser, its self-destruction was activated. Penguins around the island rejoice, and the sun comes back out, while Herbert screams in defeat. The Director congratulates you for freeing Club Penguin from Herbert's dictatorship, and reveals her identity to be... Aunt Arctic! Rookie was also a meetable character for the rest of the event. Afterwards, Herbert started building the Hot Sauce 3000 for his next plot. He used the outer body of the Solar Laser.
- For items obtainable from the mission interface, see here.
|Herbert's Giveaway Background||Background||By meeting Herbert||No|
|Rookie's Giveaway||Background||By meeting Rookie||No|
|Herbert Security Clearance Pin||Pin||Sector 1, Sector 2, Herbert HQ||No|
|Covert Agent Station||Furniture||Herbert HQ||No|
- In Issue #365 of the Club Penguin Times, Herbert P. Bear asked how to build a high frequency infrared reversion laser, which he would then use to blackout Club Penguin Island, using the name "Hubert P. Enguin" to fool Gary to get the answer on how to build it.
- Herbert was technically a dictator during this event, having taken over the entire island and making undesirable laws. Before this, it was unknown what the government of Club Penguin Island was, if any.
- This is the first time Herbert was meetable in-game.
- Club Penguin has been working on Operation: Blackout since 2010 and was supposed to be held in 2011 after Operation: Hibernation. It was postponed to 2012.
- Herbert's website (clubherbert.com) was updated through the event, and the last thing he said was "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST OF ME", hinting his return.
- When ClubHerbert.com came out, there was a picture of Gary and Dot, the top two on Herbert's to capture list, taped to the wall and some penguins believed that they were captured. Then a picture of Rookie was added and it was believed that he was also captured. (This rumor proved to be false due to the update of ClubHerbert.com and Rookie appeared in the Club Penguin Times issue #368)
- During Operation: Blackout, players were not able to complete the test to become an EPF agent due to the Everyday Phoning Facility being destroyed.
- During Operation: Blackout, there was a Snow Cat outside the Lighthouse and at the Dock carrying supplies.
- It was confirmed in a video that the Director is Aunt Arctic.
- The clouds during the blackout look like the Storm from the Halloween Parties.
- This party set a Club Penguin record, with 1.8 million penguins logged on November 24, 2012, the largest amount of penguins logged in at a specific time. 
- Rookie made official appearances during the last few days of Operation: Blackout.
- The last capsule at Herbert's Fortress was completely empty, but it was revealed to be for you. Herbert mentions in the newspaper that the crabs must capture you, or his plan would fail. He also says that you are as dangerous as The Director. This turns out to be true, as when you arrive at the Herbert HQ, you are allowed to fill the empty spot.
- The tagline for this party is similar to the tagline for the Future Party.
Glitches during the party
- There was a glitch when the party first came out where in the Paradise played the Holiday Party music instead of its own music.
- Even though the VR Room had been closed due to the fire of the Tube Transport, it still can be accessed normally with the link http://play.clubpenguin.com/?login=true&rm=213#/login/ and you can still play the PSA Missions.
- You can still play PSA missions by using the link above. It will not ban your penguin.
- There is a glitch where you can enter the main command room and also a glitch where you can see Terminal 5.
- The ClubHerbert.com website was not updated when the other four agents were captured, while when Gary was captured it was updated. This has been fixed.
- There has been a glitch when Club Penguin was updated for the snowstorm, everyone got a free Membership. But it only lasted 10 minutes. But it was confirmed that every time the island gets updated, the same thing will happen.
- There is a glitch where you can defeat Herbert before November 24. You can also see the High Frequency Infrared Reversion Laser destroyed and the skies blue.
- There was a glitch that when you are in the underground HQ, and open the catalog, when you try to buy something it says Would you like to buy undefined for undefined coins? You currently have [your number of coins]. That glitch was fixed.
- There was also a glitch that allowed you to access a terminal without getting the next item.
- The operation steps couldn't be seen, so they couldn't get the free items and complete them. The glitch was later fixed.
- There was a glitch that allowed you to get to the Herbert HQ and, therefore, defeat Herbert early.
Log off Screens
November 22 & 23
November 24 to 29 - December 5
- This phase only occurred for players when they destroyed the Solar Laser, which could be done at any date after November 24, until the operation ended. However, the sky would be bright for all players after the 29th, regardless if they completed the operation, or were an agent or not.
Club Herbert Times News
Club Herbert Rooms
When Herbert took over Club Penguin, he recalibrated the tour guide information. The new information and names are as follows:
|Place Name||New Name||Tour Guide|
|Town||Town Place||Welcome to Herbert Tours. Herbert has written everything I say because he's so smart and awesome. This is the Town Place. It has a statue of Herbert now. Pretty cool if you ask me.|
|Coffee Shop||Coffee Store||Welcome to the Coffee Store. Herbert says penguins drink too much coffee, so from now on, only carrot juice will be served. Feel free to play all games to play here. But do not have fun. Fun is outlawed.|
|Book Room||Newsroom||Up here is the Newsroom. Herbert says the newspaper is awesome now that he is writing it himself. Please send him any questions you have, because Herbert is really smart and strong... sigh.|
|Night Club||Noisy Club||Here we have the Noisy Club. Herbert says this place plays music too loud, so loud music is now forbidden here. Please feel free to dance and mix music, but do it quietly!|
|Arcade||Video Game Room||This is the Video Game Room? Herbert says that arcades are silly. And waste precious time that should be spent on concocting evil plans. But if you're gonna to play anyway, Herbert recommends setting a time limit. About 35 seconds should do.|
|Gift Shop||Shop of Gifts||Welcome to the Shop of Gifts. Herbert recently improved the catalog by posing with some of the items. 100% of the profits go to the Herbert Fund.|
|Dock||Dock Encampment||Welcome to the Dock encampment. A care center has been set up for puffles that are lost, cold, or sick from the Blackout. Please help out if you have a moment. Herbert avoids this place, he doesn't like puffles!|
|Beach||Herbert Beach||Here we have Herbert Beach. Though without the sun, it will be hard to get tan. MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!|
|Lighthouse||Lighthouse Hospital||This is the Lighthouse Hospital. We're pretty sure Herbert doesn't know that place exists. Anyone who is sick or injured can come here, or if you need a safe place to get warm. Will this blackout never end?|
|Beacon||Giant Lightbulb||Up there is the Giant Lightbulb. It's actually getting more use these days, now that Herbert stole all the sunlight. It must stay on, to make sure no boats crash here. Soon it, might be the only light left on the island.|
|Ski Village||Snow Town||Here we have the Snow Town. Pay no attention to the building on fire. That's just the former base of the Elite Penguin Force. It was disguised as an Everyday Phoning Facility. Wait! That spells EPF too! I just got that!|
|Everyday Phoning Facility||The Entrance to EPF||This WAS the entrance to EPF, but Herbert showed THEM who's boss! Feel free to warm yourself by the fire, which Herbert has graciously provided.|
|EPF Command Room||HQ for the Elite Penguin Failures||Voila! This is the HQ for the Elite Penguin Failures! They tried to stop Herbert many times, but Herbert was WAY too smart and strong and talented, and cool and strong, and now they're gone. MWA HA HA!|
|Ski Lodge||Herbert's Cabin||Welcome to Herbert's Cabin. Herbert originally wanted to cut it down to provided much needed campfires for everyone. But ever since he took over the island, he's decided to keep as it is. Isn't Herbert a nice guy?|
|Lodge Attic||Storage Room||Welcome to the Storage Room. Herbert finds this place a little creepy. Like, what's up with that rocking horse? It's WAY too big. It doesn't make sense. Creepy.|
|Ski Hill||Herbert Mountain||Here we have the top of Herbert Mountain. Herbert recently renamed it as his own honor. It used to be called the Ski Mountain, even though no one ever skis here. Herbert Mountain is a way cooler name.|
|Dojo Courtyard||Ninja Restaurant||Behold the Ninja Restaurant. Herbert doesn't like to eat here, because he heard that they serve fish and he's a strict vegetarian. Hopefully it will close down soon.|
|Dojo||Ninja Palace||Welcome to Ninja Palace. Herbert doesn't know much about ninjas because he's pretty sure they don't exist. So this place must be imaginary. You have a great imagination!|
|Ninja Hideout||N/A||I have no idea what this room is. Herbert didn't provide any notes on it. So, I guess it's safe to say whatever I want. Herbert is mean!|
|Iceberg||Iceberg||This is the Iceberg. Herbert thinks icebergs are unreliable and prone to tipping over, so please watch your step.|
|Snow Forts||Snowball Fight Room||Here we have the Snowball Fight Room. Herbert would like to remind everyone that it is illegal to throw snowballs at him. Anyone who does may be frozen.|
|Stadium||Herbert Stadium||This is Herbert Stadium. Herbert has plans to tear it down and build a giant amusement park for crabs only. No penguins allowed.|
|Plaza||Plaza||This is the Plaza. Here you'll find the best pizzeria on the island, a wonderful Stage production, starring Herbert, and a stinky place full of puffles. Herbert recommends avoiding the Pet Shop, because puffles are really annoying.|
|Pet Shop||Pet Shop||This is the Pet Shop. Herbert thinks that puffles are really annoying, so he doesn't visit here very often. He plans on outlawing puffles soon and replacing them with pet rocks. Won't that be fun?|
|Stage||Stage||Shh! Be quiet! This is the Stage, which is currently showing a play about Herbert. Please find a seat and watch in awe. Flash photography is encouraged.|
|Pizza Parlor||Pizzeria||Here we have the Pizzeria! Herbert recommends the seaweed vegetarian pizza. In fact when Herbert gets the chance, he'll be outlawing all other kinds of pizzas. So enjoy the Fish Dish pizza while you can.|
|Forest||Herbert Forest||This is Herbert Forest. Did you know that Herbert planted ALL these trees? It's true! And each one has a special name. That one is named Barky, and that one is Barky 2. Isn't Herbert a great guy?|
|Cove||Swimming Hole||This is the Swimming Hole. Herbert says that swimming is bad for you, like when you get water in your ears. Isn't that super duper annoying? So swimming is outlawed.|
|Mine Shack||Tool Shed||Here we have the Tool Shed. Herbert plans to turn it into a spa for polar bears. So if you're a polar bear... Umm... Good for you?|
|Mine||MINE||Welcome to the MINE... it's now called the MINE because when Herbert saw it, he said "THIS IS MINE". So please stay out.|
|Cave Mine||Dark Cave||This is the Dark Cave. The light generator was designed by Herbert, who donated it but never got credit. But that's okay. Herbert is chill about it, especially now that he's Illustrious Leader Supreme. Yay Herbert.|
|Hidden Lake||Herbert Cave||This is Herbert Cave. Enjoy it while you can. Herbert plans to turn it into a seaweed storage room. Sorry mermaids!|
|Underwater||Klutzy Reef||Welcome to Klutzy Reef. When Herbert took over the island, he gave this room to Klutzy. Which was really nice of Herbert, because Herbert is really nice.|
|Underground Pool||N/A||This next bit of info is written by Klutzy... ahem... click click clickty click! Ka-click click click clickety clickey click!|
|Boiler Room||Boiler Room||This is one of the best rooms on the island, so welcome to the Boiler Room! This place is pretty quiet and warm, which are Herbert's two favorite things! Enjoy!|
|Box Dimension||Barf Place||The first time Herbert saw this place, he got dizzy and barfed, So this is now known as the Barf Room, and Herbert will no longer be visiting here.|
|Three cheers for Herbert!|
|Herbert is awesome!|
|Let's go to Herbert's Party!|
|I'm so glad Herbert is our leader!|
|I wish I was a polar bear...|
|Shh! We need to be quiet for Herbert.|
|Yuck! There's meat on this pizza!|
|Let's go see Herbert's play at the Stage.|
|Tell us a story, Herbert.|
|Why do polar bears have fur coats?||Because Hawaiian shirts are too cold.|
|Why shouldn't you take a polar bear to the zoo?||Because it would rather go to the movies.|
|What's the difference between a polar bear and a mailbox?||If you don't know, you aren't very observant.|
|How do you stop a polar bear from charging?||Ask politely.|
|Why are polar bears big and furry?||If they were small and smooth, they'd be snowballs.|
|What do you get if you cross a polar bear and some seaweed?||A polar bear!|
|How does a polar bear stop a DVD?||He presses the pause button.|
|What do you call a polar bear with ice skates?||A roller bear.|
|What did the polar bear eat after the dentist fixed its teeth?||A nice salad.|
Sources and References