A membership is an optional addition to Club Penguin which players can buy. While by default, players have a limited access to many of the features of the island, penguins with a membership can access all available features. This includes buying clothing, earning all stamps, accessing all the features in parties and events, entering full servers, adopting up to 50 puffles, and so on. Penguins with membership are called "members", whereas players who don't have a membership are called non-members.
A membership is activated by entering a membership code to Club Penguin's website. The code is available in some countries in the form of membership cards, which can be bought in stores, but can also be purchased online, and received in an E-mail. When a penguin becomes a member, a "member badge" will appear in the upper left corner of their Player Card.
All members have their membership badge on the upper-left corner of their player card image. The badge's deisng may change, based on how long the player has been a member. The longer the membership lasts, the higher the badge's "rank" is. This system has been used since January 2009.
- Badge Level 1: 0-6 Months- standard member badge
- Badge Level 2: 7-12 Months- member badge with blue stripe
- Badge Level 3: 13-18 Months = member badge with blue and orange stripes
- Badge Level 4: 19-24 Months = member badge with white, blue and orange stripes
- Badge Level 5: 25+ Months = member badge with white, blue, orange stripes and a star
There are three options to choose from: the monthly instalment, the 6-month instalment or the annual instalment. The annual option is cheaper over a long term period; however, many users prefer to use monthly, as they can cancel it after any period. On July 13, 2011, Club Penguin increased all membership prices.
Memberships can be purchased online (as can gift certificates), or residents of the United States, Brazil, the European Union and the United Kingdom may purchase a membership card.
3 Months (Limited Edition)
- Players who bought a membership between December 9–31, 2010, received free coins- 1,000 coins for every month.
- In November 2011, there was a glitch where everyone had the Member sign with stripes and a star. However, they still did not get any membership privileges and they could not see the badges by themselves. This glitch was eventually fixed around late February to early March 2012.
- The Mexican prices for the membership are wrong. The 1 month membership costs around 60 Mexican Pesos when compared to US dollars, which is $4.60.
- In July 2012, exclusive membership 3 month cards came to the U.S. with codes that unlocked items online. The items were a Speed Boat, a guitar, and a Bubblegum Cheerleader Outfit.
- Club Penguin donates 20% of membership revenue to charity.
- If players bought a membership for 12 months between December 13, 2012 and January 2, 2013, they could get the bonus Holiday Party Pack, including the code for "Cool In The Cold" and 5,000 coins.
- Even though the Norwegian bank (Norway's Bank) formally removed the 0.50NOK coin, its still quite common to find membership cards with the old price (48.50NOK) in some game stores like GameStop (as of January 2013).
- There was a 18 month membership that was so far only on sale during the Holiday Party 2012.
- If you bought a 1 month membership between Nov. 28, 2013 0:00 GMT to Dec. 11, 2013 23:59 GMT, you would get another 1 month membership gift code.
- If you bought a 1 month membership between Apr. 2, 2014 0:00 GMT to Apr. 30, 2014 23:59 GMT, you would get another 1 month membership gift code. But it was with some conditions that you can redeem the gift code if you were not a member from last 90 days.
- Information about a penguin's membership status and history is found in the Parent Tools.