Furniture items are objects that can be placed in igloos by the igloo's owner. They can either be bought from catalogs in the game, unlocked using special codes, or become available as prizes during special events.
Furniture items have 3 different types (see Types of Furniture Items): floor furniture- a variety of mats and carpets; room furniture- the most common one, which includes stuff like tables, couches, chairs, lamps and cabinets; and wall furniture- any object that is hung on the igloo wall. Any new player to Club Penguin receives 6 free furniture items, and the most common method for obtaining new items is by buying them from the Furniture & Igloo Catalog- a monthly catalog which offers, in addition to furniture items, igloos, Igloo Locations and floorings.
Furniture items can also be obtained using a special code, such as the one included in any Club Penguin Magazine issue, or as part of a party reward. The vast majority of furniture items require a membership to either be obtained or used, but other than the 6 default furniture items, some furniture items, such as the unlockable ones, are available to non-members as well.
Furniture items can be placed in an igloo by its owner by entering edit mode, which is done by pressing the tools icon at the bottom-right corner, and then by pressing "Edit" in the edit mode interface. All furniture items owned by the penguin will then be arranged in a horizontal navigation bar at the top of the screen, either by their type, or in a list of all items (which will also display igloos, flooring and igloo locations). If a penguin has units left from a given owned item in storage, he can drag and drop (or pick & drop) them inside the igloo, where they can be placed (wall furniture can only be dropped on walls, and the other items can only be dropped on the floor). When doing so, in case that item has special sprites, a message would be displayed in the background, saying "Use arrow keys to change this item." An item can be returned by dragging it back to the toolbar.
An igloo can hold up to 99 items at a given time. There is also a limit for each item for how many units of it can be owned, which is usually also 99; any remaining item will be available in the items toolbar for future uses.
While igloos are capable of saving the changes in the furniture items, replacing the current igloo with a new one returns all the items from that igloo to storage. Members have the ability to have 3 different savings for igloos, so they may create a new one while keeping existing arrangements of furniture items.
- Catalogs- furniture items can be bought through the Furniture & Igloo Catalog (updated), Puffle Catalog, Martial Artworks, and when Rockhopper is around, Rockhopper's Rare Items. During the April Fools' Day Party in 2009, there was a box store, where penguins could buy boxes for their igloos (including the Portal Box).
- Special codes- the main codes for furniture items come from issues of the Club Penguin Magazine. In 2012, a smoothie product by Club Penguin, entitled "Innocent Smoothies", included a code for unlocking 3 fruit-related items out of a series of 25 items, where some of them were furniture items.
- Some parties and events have also offered furniture items as rewards. Operation: Blackout, for instance, was among the first ones, and was the first time on which non-members were able to obtain in-game extra furniture items.
Arrow key changes
Most furniture items can be changed using the arrow keys, which is done by clicking an item in an igloo and clicking up/down/left/right. The most common arrow key change, which is possible with nearly any furniture item, is the rotation/inversion change - commonly performed with the left/right arrow keys, which rotates the item or changes the direction it faces.
Another type of arrow key change, which is commonly done using the up/down keys, but is less common among furniture items, changes the look or the shape of the furniture item, and is different for each item with this option. For instance, pressing up/down while selecting the Big Screen TV turns on the TV. Keeping doing so will channel, until the TV returns to its original state, and this process can be repeated.
Pressing left/down will go through the different looks/directions of a given furniture in one way, and pressing up/right will change its look but in an inverted order.
Types of Furniture Items
Furniture items which hang on walls, such as paintings, windows, signs, etc.
Items that are placed on the floor, such as carpets, mats, etc.
This is a group of furniture items (room furniture) that puffles can interact with. It includes items such as the Puffle Condo and Puffle Houses. While using such an item, the puffle's stats will change based on the item sort; For that reasons, adoptable Puffle Creatures cannot use these items. As of March 2011, when puffles use the Pet Furniture, the art style would change back to the pre-2011 February version.
On July 26, 2012, a new igloo experience was released. With the new feature, Non-Members are given 6 free furniture items: one floor item, four regular items (two chairs and two plants), and one wall item (such as a clock). They can arrange these items in their igloo in any way they want. These items, along with some that can be unlocked via Innocent Smoothie codes, are the only types of furniture non-members can have. Non-Members could also obtain the Covert Agent Station at Operation: Blackout. Non-members had a chance to decorate their igloos for the Halloween Party 2013. During Operation: Puffle there was a furniture named Puffle Freedom Statue which was also for non-members. Other than that, there are many more items, like the Bears Pond and the Student Desk, which can also be unlocked.
- There was a glitch that allowed you to edit other people's igloos but was fixed after the changes were made to Club Penguin. It was unknown how long the glitch existed. When changes were made it was clear this was the one of the glitches to be fixed. Owners who had furniture were seemingly annoyed when other penguins entered their igloo and edited their igloos. As a result, many penguins were afraid to hold parties in their igloos. Also it was known that the Dojo was really crowded before this glitch was fixed. The players referred to the Dojo as "The Party Hall".
- There was a glitch that if you click on The Plaza on the map, it will bring you to another penguin's igloo. It was unknown how long the glitch existed, but this glitch has since been fixed.
- Before the CPIP, members whose memberships had expired would still have their igloo. The furniture wouldn't be removed. This was fixed after CPIP.
- There was a glitch that stopped when the new igloo experience came out where you could get as many of an item as you wanted. To do the glitch, players just had to put the item they wanted in their igloo. Then they would log off and shut down their computer. Then they would switch their PC back on and log onto Club Penguin. They then should have a double of the item. It will say '1' or how many of the item they had. Then they would take the item out and log back off and on again, and then they would have less items!
- If you put the Festive Light in your igloo and then leave but soon return to your igloo, it disappears.
- Every penguin can have up to 99 units of the same furniture item, with an exception of the Card-Jitsu Mat, where only 4 can be obtained. Only one Cover Agent Station and Puffle Freedom Statue could be obtained.
- There are eighteen pieces of furniture that don't require coins or a code to obtain, the Snack Stand, the Dragon's Gold, the Pile O' Candy, the Puffle Cannon, the Super Puffle Cannon, the Blue Hydra Head, the Red Hydra Head, the Yellow Hydra Head, the Brown Puffle House the Make and Bake Kitchen, the Arm Chair, the Couch, the Clock, the Fern, the Door Mat the Covert Agent Station, and the Puffle Freedom Statue.
- Innocent Smoothies came with the first unlockable furniture. Later, more codes were released that gave furniture items.
- As of December 2013, Club Penguin had approximately 1,100 furniture items.
- The October 2013 issue of Furniture Catalog had a special party package, in which Non-Members could get 10 furniture items for 350 coins. This was the first time where non-members could buy furniture (however, there is a current glitch that some penguins, probably many, have to be members to buy the special party package. This glitch has still not been fixed).
- As of November 2014, the most common item price ever is 200 coins.