A Buddy is a penguin that another penguin has added to their Buddy List because they are friends with each other. The word "buddy" is just a different way of saying "friends", as most online games have a "friend" status rather than a buddy status. They are classed as 'friends'.
Players can ask to be someone's buddy by clicking on the other penguin's player card, then clicking on the smiley face on the bottom left of their Player Card. A pop-up box appears, which has two options: Yes and No. By clicking yes, one will become their buddy. Clicking no means you do not wish to be their buddy, and thus, they are not added to your buddy list. An envelope appears when they have answered your request. The limited allowance of buddies is 100, but there was a glitch that allowed players to have even more buddies, although it is now fixed by the Club Penguin Team. If a person deletes you from their buddy list, they will also be removed from your buddy list as well.
In October 28, 2011, an update happened which made it possible to have 500 friends/buddies an possible to add Famous Penguins.
- Main article: Buddy List#Features
Becoming a buddy of another penguin is a useful thing. Players can locate where their buddy is by clicking on their player card (via the buddy list), then clicking on the "Find" button. Buddies are represented by smiley faces while choosing which server to enter when logging in. When a server has a Smiley Face rather than the default blue neutral face, it means a buddy is online on said server. However, it is not possible to discuss with buddies between servers, only directly within a room. However, Billybob has mentioned on the CP Blog that they are working on a way to create this function.
Famous Penguin BuddiesEdit
In October 2011, the ability to add Famous Penguins was added. On Famous Penguins playercards, you may now add them and get their background or whatever free item they may be giving out. Gary was the first famous penguin you could add in Club Penguin.
- The buddy limit increased to 300 in November 2005, but it was removed a few days later because it made the servers slower and odd bugs occured.
- The famous penguins used to have a winking face instead of a cardboard box before it was changed.
- Due to cheaters, anyone can add you as a buddy even if they are full.
- Another glitch occurred in 2007, early 2009, and 2010, when you could have more buddies than 100, it was soon fixed.
- In the October 28, 2011 update, you are now able to add mascots (e.g. Rockhopper). You will need to meet them on a server to add them.
- After October 28, 2011, under the friend's penguin, a green circle would mark he or she is your buddy.
- After October 28, 2011 the friend list was almost unlimited.
- There was once a major glitch in which you could add ANY penguin (including Klutzy and other Mascots) without even meeting them. A lot of penguins did this glitch and got the backgrounds of famous penguins. This glitch was soon fixed and Polo Field said this glitch was breaking the rules of Club Penguin and any penguin who does the glitch in the future will be blocked.